The MISSION of Travelers Aid International is to advance and support a network of human service provider organizations committed to assisting individuals and families who are in transition, or crisis, and are disconnected from their support systems.
Travelers Aid International members serve communities in the United States, Puerto Rico, Canada and Australia. Each member organization is adapted to serve needs specific to that community. Travelers Aid’s network of programs extends "A Helping Hand Along the Way" to travelers in need of assistance. Our volunteers and staff are there to help travelers in distress or just provide friendly customer service amid the hustle of airports and train stations.
Our members are a diverse group of human service nonprofit organizations and a network of key transportation centers. While each member agency shares the core service of helping stranded travelers, many Travelers Aid agencies provide shelter for the homeless, transitional housing, job training, counseling, local transportation assistance and other programs to help people who encounter crises as they journey through life.
Last year our members assisted 200,000 individuals and families in crisis; while at airports, bus and train stations the Travelers Aid network assisted more than 7.8 million travelers! To start a Travelers Aid program or become a member agency please contact us.
Travelers Aid International also provides support to our member agencies in the following ways:
- Annual Leadership Conference
- Updates to members on issues and "best practices"
- Technical Assistance
- Listservs for member information exchange
- Discount program for bus transportation in partnership with Greyhound Lines, Inc.
- Discount program for office supplies, overnight mailing, conference calling in partnership with the National Assembly
- Membership and advocacy with other national associations focusing on human services, housing, homelessness, and transportation
In addition to supporting member agencies, Travelers Aid International directly operates the Travelers Aid programs in the Washington DC metropolitan area at Union Station, Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, and Washington Dulles International Airport, and in the New York City metropolitan area at JFK International Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport. These programs are carried out by more than 750 volunteers and 12 professional staff assisting more than 3 million people a year.
We accomplish our Mission at these locations in the following ways:
- Provide travel courtesy, hospitality and engage travelers to ensure a more pleasant travel experience at the facilities
- Provide information on cultural activities, sightseeing, ground transportation, accommodations and local points of interest.
- Meet and greet services for youth, seniors, disabled persons and international visitors when requested, including the ability to provide companion care while the passenger is waiting in the transportation facilities within the specified hours of operation.
- Facilitate contacts in the event that passengers arrive at the "wrong" airport and need assistance to travel to another airport to reunite with family/friends.
- Provide information on check-cashing, use of credit cards, ATMs and other options available when money is lost or stolen (e.g. prepaid tickets, contact with friends or relatives, alternative travel, wiring money, emergency housing and food resources).
The mission of all Travelers Aid agencies depends on the financial support from grants, contracts and generous donations from the public to keep our programs running. Please follow this link to make a secure donation online.