Date of last update: May 12, 2016
Also New — Terms of Service, effective May 12, 2106
Information We Collect
TAI is the sole owner of the information collected when you use our Services. We may collect either personally identifiable information, which is information that specifically identifies you, or we may collect non-personally identifiable information, which is information that does not directly identify you. We collect information from you in the following ways:
Information you provide us voluntarily:
- In order to use some features of our website, users must first complete the request form. Users are required to give their contact information, including your name, email address, and location;
- We may collect demographic information, such as your gender, age, and zip code, which you voluntarily provide to us. We use this information to provide you with personalized services and to analyze trends to ensure the Services we provide meet your needs.
- We may collect information about you if you donate to us, including your name and address. Please note, however, that TAI does not collect or store your credit or debit card information;
- We may also collect information about you if you seek assistance from a TAI volunteer.
Information we collect automatically:
- We may collect information about your activity on our website, such as page views, search queries, and the services you’re interested in;
- We may also collect device IDs or unique identifiers, device and software characteristics (such as type and configuration), connection information, referral URLs, IP address, and standard web log information;
- We may collect data that is collected via cookies, web beacons, or other technical mechanisms.
- A “cookie” is a small text file that may be used to collect information about your activity on our website. You may set most browsers to notify you if you receive a cookie, or you may choose to block cookies with your browser, but if you do, you may not be able to take advantage of the personalized features enjoyed by other users to our Site. Some of the cookies that we use may be Flash cookies or Adobe cookies. While they are harmless, they may contain demographic information and depending on your browser these cookies may not normally be deleted when your cookies are deleted. Please check your browser to determine where these types of cookies are stored and how they may be deleted.
- A web beacon is an electronic image, also called a “gif,” that may be in the form of a “png” image, as well as iframe, script, input link, embed, object, and other tags to track usage. These web beacons may be used on our web pages to deliver cookies, count visits, and/or compile statistics on usage and effectiveness of our Services.
Information we collect from other sources:
- We may also collect information about you from other sources, including through interactive applications (such as mobile devices and third-party services) and from service providers. For example, we may receive information about you from a payment services provider if you make a donation to us.
- We may collect information from social media sites if, for example, you post a question on or contact us via one of our social media pages.
- We may collect publicly available information, such as information you post in a public comment or on a blog post.
The above list provides an example of the information that we may collect. From time to time, we may collect information from you in other ways that are not described above.
Use of Information
We use the personally identifiable information that we collect for the following purposes:
- To contact you about the topics on our site about which you have expressed interest;
- To provide you with services you request or respond to questions or comments that you send to us;
- To allow you access to limited-entry areas of the website;
- To analyze trends, administer the site, track user movement, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use for reporting and sponsorship purposes. Please note that we do not link IP addresses to personally identifiable information;
- To prevent, detect, and investigate potentially prohibited or illegal activities, including fraud, and enforce our terms;
Sharing and Disclosure of Information
We may share or disclose the information we collect from you in the following instances:
- We will share aggregated demographic information with our partners, sponsors, and donors. This is not linked to any personal information that can identify any individual person. We only share this information so that we can secure funding to continue providing this site free of charge.
- We may share information to assist you or fulfill a service requested by you. For example, we may have to share your information with a travel company if you request our assistance getting home.
- We may share information with third-party vendors and services providers who help us maintain our website and provide our services, such as email and web vendors.
- To comply with the law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary in order to conform to the requirements of law or comply with legal process served on us, protect and defend our rights or property or act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our end users.
Unless we obtain your prior consent, we will not otherwise sell, share, or rent your information to others in ways different from what is disclosed in this Policy.
In the event of any corporate reorganization, or that all or part of our assets are sold or acquired by another party, or in the event of a merger, you grant us the right to assign the personally identifiable and non-personally identifiable information collected via our Services pursuant to any such transfer.
This website contains links to other sites. Please be aware that TAI does not claim any responsibility for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by this Web site.
This website takes all reasonable measures to ensure that our users’ information remains as secure as reasonably possible, and we have security measures in place to help protect the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information under our control. That said, no data transmissions over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you understand that any information that you transfer to us is done at your own risk.
Our users are given the opportunity to “opt in” to newsletters and site update email messages. To unsubscribe from mailings, please send an e-mail to email@example.com, to unsubscribe from any updates.
Notification of Changes
We may change this Policy from time to time. If we make any material changes to the Policy, we will notify you by updating the “Effective Date” listed above. We may also send you an email notifying you of the changes and/or post a notice of the change on our homepage. By continuing to use the Services after we post any such changes, you accept the Policy as modified. We may change, restrict access to, suspend, or discontinue the Services, or any portion of the Services, at any time.
Do Not Track Disclosures
TAI’s website does not currently recognize Do Not Track browser settings and does not currently participate in any “Do Not Track” frameworks that would allow us to respond to signals or other mechanisms from you regarding the collection of your personally identifiable information or non-personally identifiable information.
Visitors from Outside the United States
TAI is headquartered in the United States. Please note that information you provide to us or we obtain as a result of your use of the Services may be processed and transferred to the United States and be subject to U.S. law. The privacy and data protection laws in the United States may not be equivalent to such laws in your country of residence. By using our website or providing us with your information, you consent to the collection, transfer, storage and processing of information to and in the United States.
For questions about this Policy, the Services, or TAI, you may contact us at:
Travelers Aid International
5000 Sunnyside Avenue, Suite 103
Beltsville, MD 20705